Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Host based vs network firewall in datacenter

From: Kevin <kkadow () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:21:24 -0500

From: Zurek, Patrick - Tuesday, June 07, 2005 12:34 PM
To: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
2) As a short term measure I have applied ipfilter on several of our non-
production hosts.  My manager has began to advocate putting it on all
production systems now (about 15 hosts).

Assuming you've completed thorough testing on non-production hosts, you
should feel comfortable in applying ipfilter policies to your
production systems.

 Is ipf on a production Sun 15k a good idea?

IPF works well but depending on your support requirements you may need
to look at a commercial solution.  If you are using Solaris 8 or 9 and
are under sun support you may want to look at Sunscreen Lite but I still
prefer ipfilter.

So does Sun.... Solaris 10 includes a version of ipfilter:
     http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/faqs/security.xml#q2

Kevin Kadow