Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: A fun smackdown...

From: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL () bvsg com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:16:35 -0500

On Friday, May 20, 2005 10:56 AM, Chuck Swiger spake:

A door lock which rejects all keys, even a good key,
is more "secure" than a lock which rejects only
invalid keys.

This made me think of a denial of service attack which
renders the system (door) unavailable. Does a DoS make
the system more secure? It seems like some _might_ say
_Yes_, since the system would effectively be blocked.
I would say no, it's not more secure, at least, not if
the definition of security includes _availability_.

Security (def.) - Ensuring integrity, confidentiality,
availability of systems, data, etc.

I believe some definitions offered here of security
imply being _not available_. Not just to unauthorized
folks, but anyone in general. While perhaps technically
correct, it's not very practical (as has already been
pointed out).

Maybe we are not in agreement in what the term,
secure, means, and need to better define that first,
so we are all on the same page from the start.