Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hopefully not too OT

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:49:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

On Mon, 2 May 2005 jimmy () chickenhollow net wrote:

  I have been pondering putting an 802.11 jammer on site at each
location (again, we don't use wireless, so it should not impair
anything) and thought that might be a cheaper option.

Depending on where you are, this can be illegal (in the U.S. signal
jamming and jammers are illegal,) and may also affect other devices in the
same spectrum.  Security cameras, RFID, Cellular, wireless phones,
emergency services radio- the chance for interferrence can be worrisome-
let alone if someone decides to do detonation nearby- I'd not want to
hazard the liability under most circumstances.

to expand on this. wireless equipment is licensed as a secondary user for all it's frequancies, this means that there are other folks useing those frequencies and 802.11 was designed to be robust in the face of this other activity (which would look like a bunch of jammers to it). if you put up a jammer strong enough to block 802.11 it will also interfere with the other services, and most of them will very much not appriciate the jamming. this could be a ticket to a series of very large FCC fines.

David Lang

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no
deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.