Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:23:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Scott Pinzon wrote:

I've been watching with a certain morbid fascination as Marcus has
ranted in his own blog and in FW-WIZ (and who knows where else) that
educating users about security is one of the "dumbest ideas" and "if it
was ever going to work, it would have by now." I have tremendous respect
for you, Marcus (epecially since you have, I dunno, six times the years
in computer security that I do). But I can't help feeling, in my
pipsqueak opinion, that on this one you're way off base.

Well, statistics would probably bear him out.  Anna Kournikova was big
enough and fast enough that it *should* have been all the wake-up call we
needed.  I remember talking to someone who recounted an end-user
experience-

Admin: "Why did you click on the virus, didn't you see all the press coverage?"
User: "Yes, I wanted to see what it would do!"

-- Ignorance is never better than knowledge in any realm. But particular

My experiences don't run that way- there's lots of stuff I'm perfectly
happy not knowing a thing about.  Ignorance is bliss.

to network security, my experience is that most clueless users are also
people of good will who will cease dangerous behaviors once they
understand those behaviors ARE dangerous.

For about a week- maybe two.  Look at the password-for-pens studies and
the password traininng retention studies.  While lots of users *do* want
to do the right thing, you're ignoring the silent majority who just don't
care.

-- Educating users is another layer in "Defense in depth." If 10 out of
100 users click evil email attachments, and through education you reduce
that to 3 out of 100, you've improved that layer.

This is important for click-to-run stuff, where most people don't
understand the level of not clicking that will make a piece of malware not
global.  We need (last time I saw numbers I almsot agreed with) about a
35% non-click improvement to have a good gain.

-- Educating users has been proven to work at company after company.
Help desk calls, viral infections, falling victim to phishing emails,
and more, have been quantitatively and demonstrably reduced at companies
that institute end-user security training.

For how long?  Got any long-term citations?

-- And how do you know "it" (educating end users) is not working? We
have no before/after comparison on what the Internet would be like if
all of us who preach security had stopped five years ago.

Because they're still getting infected with click-to-run malware.

Paul