Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: parsing logs ultra-fast inline

From: "Adrian Grigorof" <adi () grigorof com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 23:01:18 -0500

What do we want to know?

http://www.eventid.net/firewalls/MostPopularReports.asp

The compilation of the most popular reports that we would like to see after
a firewall (or other similar device) log analysis - from a thread initiated
by mjr in the Log Analysis mailing list.

I noticed that there is a big emphasis on log parsing while there should be
more discussions about the interpretation of the log parsing results. I've
worked with logs from quite a few types of firewalls but parsing them has
never been the problem. Yes, is a tedious, frustrating job but a rather easy
one in comparison with the task of "programmatically" interpreting their
meaning. Take Tina's VPN example - how many types of log entries you would
expect from a VPN concentrator? From my experience, not more than 20 but
let's assume there are 50. Give a sample from each entry to a Perl
programmer and you will have the parsing script done in a day or two. So now
you have the data, but what are doing with it? What is relevant to a VPN
administrator? Even a seasoned security professional would appreciate some
"conclusions" that a reporting tool would provide from the data in the logs.

That being said, I agree that when you have to analyze 100 GB worth of logs,
parsing them becomes a (big) problem and you need to optimize as much as
possible. Actually, a "mere" 1 GB log is a show stopper for many analyzers
on the market.

Regards,

Adrian Grigorof
Altair Technologies