Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum

From: david_harris () arnotts com
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:43:33 +1100

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, sai wrote:

on firewall if you really want all-in-one boxes. Why would you want an
IDS on the same machine as a firewall? Its not going to work. It will
not have enough signatures to give you the sort of security you need.

[What the heck, no interesting debate in a while...]

I think there's a bigger question "why would you want an IDS?"  AFAICT,
IDS's are only good for (a) stopping stuff your firewall rules should
already stop or (b) stopping known-bad stuff you have to let in that
almost always have patches or work-arounds and (c) if you're regulated
into them (i.e. HIPPA.)

I think it should be re-iterated that the D in IDS is 'Detection'. Alot of
people are using this term very loosely of late.

I agree that IDS is a waste of time except if you need to provide glossy
feel good reports to mgmt. Then theyr'e great!

Since I tend to preach good firewall rulesets and strengthening the
obvious vectors with good patching/strong configuration, I really fail to

see situations where "If only we'd had an IDS/IPS" is the matra rather
than "if only we'd patched/filtered" wasn't an altogether better mantra.

Maybe someone hitting the IDS pipe can come up with some good examples of

when just doing the right thing wouldn't have stopped whatever it is that

is known enough for signatures but not enough for configuring or
patching...

Paul

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain
confidential information and is intended solely for use by
the individual to whom it is addressed.  If you received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, do not
disclose its contents to others and delete it from your
system.