Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: False results to DMZ

From: "David U. Haltinner" <dhaltinner () altaresources com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:59:22 -0600

Actually no RSt is received. My scanner has to send the RST to close the
port. The destination host does said a reset, but the firewall ignores
it and makes the connection anyways.

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 14:04 +0100, Ralf.Zessin () maxpert de wrote:
Hello David,

with firewalls or other security devices between scanner and target
you have always a Problem with malformed IP-Packets. The behaviour
depends on firewall-settings.

Please check the behavior in your case with tcpdump. I assume
that your pix first pretends that all ports are open and if
the Ack-Flag is received ( which never comes with the syn-scan ),
the real connection was established and if fails, the RST-Flag
comes back.  This behaviour was one kind of protection against
SYN-Flood attacks .

Try the following:
Connection to an open port with telnet ( telnet <target> <portnum> )
With tcpdump you shoul see the normal three-way handshake

Connection to a unavail port/host
If you thee the three-way handshake with an additional RST Packet,
you know, it works like described above.

Therefore you have to use the tcp-connect() scan to check your systems.

      - Ralf