Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Static NAT with a twist

From: Juliao Duartenn <juliao.duartenn () oblog pt>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:32:57 +0100

Oliver,

Either I am misinterpreting your needs, or what you are asking for is pretty straightforward.

You are asking for a configuration where net1 addresses always go through untranslated, both for incoming sessions and for outgoing sessions. At the same time, there will be an IP (or many) from net2 configured on the firewall, and everything that comes to that IP will get NATted to an IP on net1. All return traffic, of course, will be translated (or not) according to the original requests.

Looks like something any box can do, including PIX.

Juliao Duartenn
Director, Oblog Consulting

Oliver Humpage wrote:
<de-lurk>

Hallo all,

I was hoping to get some advice from people familiar with PIX firewall
configuration, to make sure one (e.g. the 515E) would do what I wanted it to
do before I buy it. I hope that's OK on this list.

I have a slightly complicated setup: essentially, there are 2 networks
coming into the server room, and one web server. The web server will be
hosting some sites on an IP on "net_1", and some on an IP on "net_2". It
currently has just one IP, on net_1.

I won't go into details, but letting the networks "mix" on the wires, VLANs,
or extra NICs are not solutions in my case. So it has to be done at the
border router.

What I'd really like is a router/firewall that can assume "net_1" is the
default, and pass packets to/from it, but if a packet comes in for net_2 it
rewrites it ("static NAT" essentially) to net_1.

So for instance:

Request comes in for net_1:

                to net_1
------------- <---------- ---------- <--- packet to net_1
| Web server|             | Router |
------------- ----------> ---------- ---> packet from net_1
              from net_1

Request comes in for net_2:

                to net_1
------------- <---------- ---------- <--- packet to net_2
| Web server|             | Router |
------------- ----------> ---------- ---> packet from net_2
              from net_1

Traffic originating from net_1 stays on net_1:

| Web server|            | Router |
              from net_1

It's this third one that will require some tricksiness, since otherwise I'd
just use static NAT and have done with it.

Many thanks for any help/advice you can offer as to what kit will do this.

Oliver.