Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Help me interpret these log entries....

From: "Mathew Want" <mathew.want () ac3 com au>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:56:41 +1100

Bob,

I have seen traffic like this as well. I thought (based on best guess) it
was a scan that tried to pierce non-stateful firewalls such as ipchains
where the rule for the outbound packet is a separate rule to the return
packet (and visa versa). Any other opinions?

Some legit (non malicious) traffic can appear like this just because the
service you are connecting to has taken too long to respond and the
connection has fallen out of the firewalls state table (more prevalent in
systems that have a pseudo state for UDP). The firewall will drop it anyway.
If you !LOG this traffic then you may have difficulties tracking these types
of issues, but it's the same with any decision to LOG or !LOG.

If the firewall is denying the traffic anyway, the only benefit I can see in
!LOG is a reduction in log volume. I would put it just above the last DENY
rule in the chain if it were me so as not to hamper any of the rules above
it.

Hope this helps and is close....
--
Regards,