Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

PC Firewall Evaluations

From: "Vin Maddux" <Vin.Maddux () cox net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:54:52 -0700

Greetings to all,

This is the first time I've posted here, so be gentle with me if my inquiry
is foolish. I have need to compile and maintain an extended list of PC
Firewalls both commercial and public and rank them. I don't really have the
time to get deep into to this, so I thought I'd ask around on this list.

Particularly vulnerabilities, performance, reliability, manageability, user
interface, etc. Basically a composite metric of some sort. Ideally, this
would be simply the list of ICSA certified PC Firewall products, however, it
is quite short and there are many products in the market being used by
consumers. Some, no doubt, are better than others. I've searched around and
have not found anything that is clearly a standards based ranking or
certification short of ICSA certification and again that is a short list.

For example: HYPERLINK
"http://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/main.php?pid=ghffguj657"http://www.icsalabs.co
m/icsa/main.php?pid=ghffguj657 is a great certification program, trouble is,
like all quality programs, it costs money to administrate them and many
small PC Firewall vendors can't or won't pay the fees. For obvious reasons,
some vendors may choose not to have their ICSA evaluations made public. It
would be great if they all could or would but it is what it is.

Another example: HYPERLINK
"http://personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/"http://personal
-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ and HYPERLINK
"http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm"http://www.firewallguide.com/soft
ware.htm are nice lists, however, they leave out vulnerabilities and
performance rankings and those are critical metrics. In other words, they
are non-technical and don't specifiy test & ranking methods.

Excepting the ICSA list, most look like marketing fluff to me. Please set me
straight if I'm missing anything here.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of non-ICSA certified PC Firewalls
that have been recently tested using popular exploit vulnerability and
intrusion detection tools such as Metasploit and Snort/Air Snort?

Best,

Vin