Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX stateful failover and separate external circuits

From: Florin Andrei <florin () andrei myip org>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:31:39 -0800

James Burns wrote:
Hi Florin,

The information you have been given is correct. For a Pix to support
stateful failover, a dedicated LAN interface between the two units is
required. You can read more here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/failover.html#statefulfailover

Exactly. I just realized I've seen this a while ago - I had a pair of
PIXes in a failover configuration, each one connected to a different
switch, and the inter-connection between switches broke. The firewalls
went nuts trying to kickstart the failover process.

So yeah, the interfaces of the primary and the secondary need to be in
the same LAN segment.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/