Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Dark Reading: Firewalls Ready for Evolutionary Shift

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:00:29 -0500 (EST)

"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com> wrote:

George Capehart wrote:
Some light reading for the weekend . . .  Thought it'd stir the pot a
bit more for the "Firewalls that generate new packets . . ." thread.  ;>

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=140121&f_src=drweekly

[snip]
"Next Generation firewalls"? Gosh, oh, golly - it sounds like what
they're calling "Next Generation firewalls" are kinda sorta like
"what firewalls were supposed to do all along."
[snip]

Everything that's old is new again?

Hasn't this been on the horizon a couple years or so, now?  ISTR
starting to hear about application proxies again a couple years ago or
so.  I recall laughing, at the time, about how it seemed "security
experts" and admins were going to re-discover something that's been
around for, well, quite a long time.

How sad.

Not to haul this thread off-subject or off-topic, but, ironically:
Coincident with this discussion, here, there is running on another
mailing list to which I'm subscribed a discussion about the email spam
and email-borne malware problem and somebody suggested (paraphrased)
"Maybe if some of the relevant RFC's "should"s and "should not"s were
be turned into "must"s and "must not"s?"  Such as "HELO/EHLO MUST
consist of."  The other idea floated was that Postel's Robustness
Principle is archaic.

Jim
--
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at <http://jimsun.linxnet.com/contact/scform.php>.

Jim