Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Nat Limitations?

From: "Dale W. Carder" <dwcarder () doit wisc edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 11:57:15 -0500

First off, you may want to check out a couple of "resnet"
mailing lists that exist.  I think educause hosts one.

On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:03 AM, jason () tacorp com wrote:
So, in building it we want to make it as portable as possible.  As
such,
NAT comes to mind so we don't have to re-number it if a different
provider
takes it.

You could also acquire globally routable provider-independent address
space and an AS number.  Then you could peer w/ one or more isp's
as well.

  It also has a number of other advantages which I'm sure are
well known.

And a number of disadvantages that are well known.

* It's harder to handle RIAA complaints since everything comes from a
different public address.

ONLY interact with the RIAA via their laywers talking to your
laywers.  You are not their agent.

* Rate limiting (packet shaping) is currently done at the ISP for
these
buildings.  We'll have to move that inside (more $$) or do protocol
shaping instead of by IP address.

I would recommend you do the rate limiting yourself.  More $$
upfront, but you can depreciate hardware and save costs elsewhere.

Do the benefits outweight the caveats?

My experience with our /17 of dorms is no.

Dale