Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN suggestions wanted

From: AMuse The Sane <amuse () foofus com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:29:44 -0700

I've had great luck with OpenVPN and Linux (Debian) on the Soekris
Net4801 series device.

With a VPN accelerator (Warning: Only works well with FreeBSD!) the
throughput was more than acceptable for a T1/ADSL/Cable setup plus LAN
at a cost of about $300 per unit.  I even have a DD image online of the
1GB flash card that serves as its primary drive.

There's also a "in the box" project called m0n0wall based on FreeBSD
that targets this hardware directly:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/

tandernam wrote:
I'm doing some work with a small company (about a dozen employees)
that needs to make their remote access more reliable. I'm looking to
set up a (new) VPN for them (the old one is a hack job). I'm looking
for suggestions on a solution, something fairly simple to set up that
I can just plug between their intranet and the interweb. Reliability
is key. I'm mostly looking for a hardware solutions (just because I
think it would be easier to set up and more reliable), but I'd be very
interested to hear from anyone who is running a good small-scale
(please don't start talking about radius servers...) software gateway.
They're currently running NAT off their soho modem/router on a DSL.
Suggestions and recommendations would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

-tander