Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: detecting multihomed host

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:47:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Marcin Antkiewicz wrote:

it depends. If your firewall is really just a bridge, the first router will
see one MAC address in traffic for all of the 20 IPs. There are other

One MAC address wouldn't really be "multi-homed," it'd be lots of "virtual
interfaces."  That's different from muti-homed in my book.  Physical
multi-homing requires seperate physical interfaces.  I'd call it multiple
virtual interfaces if it all came from one NIC (and multi-homed normally
indicates the system is connected to more than one network- hence it's
"home" isn't just one subnet.

Paul