Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NetScreen Logging with NSRP

From: "Avishai Wool" <yash () acm org>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:58:41 +0200

Kerry,

one thing you could consider is an "offline audit" using something
like the AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer (www.algosec.com) . it works off
the policy files so it doesn't require any loggiing - although if logs are
turned on then that info is used as well. You can do a _lot_ of cleanup,
and also a lot of security tightening, based on static analysis that doesn't
rely on usage data.

also - I'm not sure what firewall brand you have, but if it's a Cisco then
you can get all the usage information, at least since the last reboot,
from the output of "show access-list" from the "hitcnt" field - and this
works even if logging is completely off.

as to your idea of putting logging on the backup: I don't see how that will help
much. you'll only get logs from the few packets that the backup sees, no?
so unless you force a failover you won't see much logs, and if you do force
the failover I assume the backup CPU will spike to at least 80% too...

HTH,
  Avishai

Disclaimer: I created what is now the AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer, starting from
work in Bell Labs in the late 1990's, so I am biased...