Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: watchguard firebox 700 hardware limitation?

From: Alan.Cottom () stonesoft com
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:23:19 +0000

Hi Jasmine,

I've never come across any such limitation with Watchguard.  If traffic
was not flowing when the interfaces were configured "correctly" then it
must have been down to mis-configuration of the policy.  As long as you
have the correct rules to allow traffic from the outside to the inside
(along with any associated NAT entries) then there should be no problem.

Alan

Jasmine Chua <babymagic_89 () yahoo com>
Sent by: firewall-wizards-bounces () listserv icsalabs com
07/03/2008 09:13
Please respond to
Firewall Wizards Security Mailing
List<firewall-wizards () listserv icsalabs com>

firewall-wizards () listserv icsalabs com
cc

Subject
[fw-wiz] watchguard firebox 700 hardware limitation?

Hi Everyone

I noticed something's not right in a particular
firewall config file. I do not understand why LAN is
configured as Untrusted and External (WAN) as Trusted.
I brought this up as a security concern to one of my
colleague, our senior technical guru. He told me that
things are configured this way because there is a
hardware limitation with the old watchguard firebox
700. At that time, when they tried to configure LAN as
Trusted and External as Untrusted, they found out that
network traffic from Untrusted to Trusted cannot flow
through.

I would like to know if others have encountered the
same experience so that I can determine if what he
said is really true..

-JC