Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: QUERY: centralized firewall policy management across multiple vendors

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:41:30 -0700

On 5/2/08, william fitzgerald <wfitzgerald () tssg org> wrote:
Dear Firewall Experts,

Is there a firewall policy configuration management tool/appliance that can
incorporate multiple firewall vendor rules management under one roof?

What I mean is, are there tools that have a generic syntax/language or GUI
frontend that can represent for example cisco and juniper netscreen
syntax/policy rule sets?

Example Trivial Scenario:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have 2 firewalls back-to-back with a service running behind them both.
Normally one would have to write a firewall rule for the cisco firewall
using cisco syntax to permit that services port traffic and then write
another equivalent rule on the juniper firewall.

I would like to investigate the generic policy syntax/GUI tool set whereby
one (business/firewall) generic rule can be written (permit access to
service X) and it *magically* writes rules for multiple vendor firewalls
installed on the network.

Any pointers to existing technologies is greatly appreciated if any.

Closest thing I know of is this:

http://www.fwbuilder.org/

Kurt