Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS & Firewalls

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:31:37 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Chris Blask wrote:

Nope, not just you. ;~)

The DSS (and regulatory tools in total) are not bits-und-bytes technical
artifacts, they are human engineering technical artifacts.  The idea
being to find a way to move people in a desired direction an achievable
distance.  The funcational DNA in PCI is not what gadgets to use how,
it's "if it's done wrong there are legal ramifications at the executive
level".

But they fail at that level in so fars as they don't help small and
mid-sized companies know what they really need to do- does a small compay
with 5 servers *really* need to seperate every single function onto its
own system?  Does anyone actually seperate DNS from Active direcotry for
instance?

One of our folks did PCI for Walmart, and when the CEO sent out a note
saying (sic): "Listen to this guy or you're fired" it proved that PCI
worked.  It reduced the prospect of spending in the future the millions
of man-hours we have spent in the past arguing with people that maybe
they should at least consider changing default passwords.

But the buy in is to check the boxes so they don't get fined- and the
boxes are checkable by interpretation.  Outside of a few basic
requirements, things are vague, ambiguous and not helpful at all- frankly,
it's the worst "standard" I've seen in ~25 years of computer security- and
I've rarely seen good ones.

I also agree with Marcus that it's the Pen Tester's Employment Security
Act..

Paul