Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Handling large log files

From: Nate Hausrath <hausrath () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 18:41:13 -0400

Hello everyone,

I have a central log server set up in our environment that would
receive around 200-300 MB of messages per day from various devices
(switches, routers, firewalls, etc).  With this volume, logcheck was
able to effectively parse the files and send out a nice email.  Now,
however, the volume has increased to around 3-5 GB per day and will
continue growing as we add more systems.  Unfortunately, the old
logcheck solution now spends hours trying to parse the logs, and even
if it finishes, it will generate an email that is too big to send.

I'm somewhat new to log management, and I've done quite a bit of
googling for solutions.  However, my problem is that I just don't have
enough experience to know what I need.  Should I try to work with
logcheck/logsentry in hopes that I can improve its efficiency more?
Should I use filters on syslog-ng to cut out some of the messages I
don't want to see as they reach the box?

I have also thought that it would be useful to cut out all the
duplicate messages and just simply report on the number of times per
day I see each message.  After this, it seems likely that logcheck
would be able to effectively parse through the remaining logs and
report the items that I need to see (as well as new messages that
could be interesting).

Are there other solutions that would be better suited to log volumes
like this?  Should I look at commercial products?

Any comments/criticisms/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Please let me know if I need to provide more information.  Again, my
lack of experience in this area causes me hesitant to make a solid
decision without asking for some guidance first.  I don't want to
spend a lot of time going in one direction, only to find that I was
completely wrong.

Thanks!
Nate