Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall best practices

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <probertson () fluiditgroup com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:59:02 -0400

Darden, Patrick S. wrote:
No offense, but this list is "firewall wizards", not "I don't have time
to do a good job of being a firewall admin".  I believe the responses
you have gotten are appropriate and expert.

I'm going to throw this out there again[1] because it's probably been
half a decade or so since I last said it-  The demise of the Chapman
firewall mailing list means that there simply aren't a lot of good
resources for the beginner, the curious or the uninitiated.  In that
regard, I'm more apt to approve basic questions and "How do I do *splat*
on my PIX?" than Marcus was.  The list can't afford to "just tackle the
Wizard questions" IMNSHO.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that we need to fix the
fact that "everyone doesn't know default allow sucks-" I, like Marcus
see the necessity of answering the question a thousand times.  Maybe we
should rattle the Cybersecurity Czar's cage on this one?

Information security is like an endless game of tag where the same
person is always "it."  We're still "it."  We'll never not be "it," and
we can't stop playing.

Paul
[1]  For those new to the list, administrative stuff comes from my
"work" account, personal postings come from paul () compuwar net
--
President and Chairman, FluidIT Group
Moderator, Firewall-Wizards.  Editor, Network Firewall FAQ