Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall best practices

From: "Harrell, Matthew" <mhar () plex com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:09:21 -0400

That is exactly what they do, at least the ones I'm familiar with.  The firewall is acting as the server (it's a proxy,
anyway):  The CSR is generated there, and the cert is installed there.  This then allows the firewall to scan the data
in the packets as well as header information for RFC compliance, etc.  Some firewalls even allow for the re-encryption
of the HTTPS traffic back to the web server.  We don't need that functionality, and simply send the packets on to the
servers as plain text HTTP.  If we need to know whether the traffic arrived at the firewall encrypted, then I configure
the firewall to use a different port for the traffic to the back end web server.

Matthew Harrell
Plex Systems
(248) 391-8000
mhar () plex com