Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Intranet or intranet?

From: John Morrison <john.morrison101 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:10:57 +0100

Jeff,

The noun internet means a network of networks. It is a group of
connected networks - an internetwork. The I in IP standards for
internet. The capitalisation of Internet is used for THE Internet. It
is a proper noun in this case. (See  -
http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/internet
Which says "Internet - (Note: capital "I"). The Internet is the
largest internet (with a small "i") in the world)

Following this rule the services provided internally would be an
intranet. However, if one colleague was emailing another and was
talking about the company intranet they would correctly refer to it as
the Intranet. You could think of it like the word as being the name of
the network.