Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: In search of Firewalls KPIs

From: saumitra prabhudesai <saumitra_p () yahoo co in>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 03:36:56 +0530 (IST)

Hi,

Well our work group is responsible for port level, bandwidth & node-level capacity planning and forecasting for up to 3
years. So, we need to observe the KPIs or dimensioning parameters, which really play a deterministic role while
deciding the capacity of currently deployed firewalls. Also, we use the historic data to take into account the growth
pattern of ports, bandwidth, nodes, number of applications that a specific firewall needs to cater and inputs about
upcoming projects from various planning teams to forecast the total capacity needed in upcoming years.

So, the dimensioning parameters that really as "break-rule" are needed to be observed. e.g. a parameter like disk usage
might be important from operational point of view, but can be treated with the lowest priority while working on the
capacity planning.

The models in use are: Juniper Netscreen 5200/5400 (used for NAT/PAT) and Crossbeam X80 application firewall clusters.

Any explanation will be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
Saumitra