Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: Magosányi Árpád <mag () magwas rulez org>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:08:56 +0200

On 2011-04-26 02:29, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
I agree with you that it's not necessarily "crap" but OSS
generally means "free" which also means that one or two
OSS solutions suck all the oxygen out of the bottom of the
market - while the commercial offerings dominate the middle
and the top. If you get into a feature war with a commercial
product that has 20 engineers working on it, full-time, you
are not going to win if you're a typical OSS project.

I would differ here. The OSS projects having momentum have much more (and better) engineers working on them in full time than any commercial venture could pay for. I especially like the "better" part. Imagine Linux Kernel Inc., Orlando hiring 300 kernel hackers. Would they be all up to the job? Now imagine 300 companies worldwide hiring one kernel hacker per company. One who have to be good enough to create patches accepted upstream, because the viability of the products (hence the company) depends on it, and in turn gets THE dream job of anyone who knows what open source is. High standards and high motivation.

Well, one can do a development project either professionally or unprofessionally, and in both cases it can be open source or closed one. The difference between OSS and closed source is whether one believes in other things than money. (And even this is less and less true, as open source as a business model gains momentum.)

Granted, doing an open source project professionally today is much harder than it should be.