Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 19:57:33 +0400

Packet filters and packet filtering threat control is reactive by design.
(Well, maybe not "by design" as principle of technology, but "by design" of
current implementation, being basically a way to apply regexp to a tcp/ip packet
or tcp flow - and the second technique is called "advanced").

The efficiency of threat control depends on nature of the threat.
Protocol driven attacks are not that widespread now, but they still do exist.
I checked CVEs for, say, pop3 vulnerabilities of last 5 years  and found out that about 90% are
protocol abuses that are prevented by proper proxy on zero knowledge basis.

For http the situation is strictly opposite, to be honest. But for http there are other
things proxy can do.