Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DISA eliminating firewalls

From: James Wright <jamfwright () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 16:14:15 -0400

Agreed, I also do not see them going away.  While BYOD is becoming a common
practice, so is network segregation, such as separate wifi networks
dedicated to personal devices.  Just because they need connectivity for
their device does not necessarily mean that it has to be direct
connectivity to internal resources and it does not mean that every
employee/user needs that level of connectivity.  Vendors are getting better
with the device VPN poducts as a method of internal access, which can
include an endpoint compliance scan.  This can ensure the device meets
local policies (like not being on the cell or other networks too, having AV
(for what it's worth), or other software/features).  Often times the VPN
options include turning off split-tunneling (forcing all data traffic
through the VPN tunnel), and other proxy type options.

Regards,
James