Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Quote cybersecurity unquote

From: Anton Chuvakin <anton () chuvakin org>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 16:42:29 -0800

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Stephen P. Berry <spb () meshuggeneh net>wrote:

It is apparently national cyber security awareness month, a fact which
I was made aware of by a bunch of fluff news pieces.

This got me thinking:  is network/information security, in the sense that
long-time readers of firewall-wizards have practiced it, a dying
profession?

Actually, "the whole cyber thing" is even more interesting that that.  At a
recent event  (called - please don't laugh - "World Cyberspace Cooperation
Summit"), I've heard sentiment similar to the following: "'cyber risk
mitigation' is now a board-level priority, [while the infosec is not]" The
world has gone slightly insane, and so security matters A  LOT and A LITTLE
at the same time.

--
Dr. Anton Chuvakin
Site: http://www.chuvakin.org