Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Interesting infographic on the history of firewalls

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:39:12 -0400

Claudio Telmon wrote:
The fist firewall evasion techniques I'm aware of are:
- SYN packet fragmentation in order to fool packet filtering
routers/firewalls

When I was at TIS, in 199?2, I set up Onions' tunnel driver and a couple
shell scripts that uuencoded the packets coming out of the tunnel, and
emailed them to another system user with a .forward file that uudecoded
the packets and injected them into a peer tunnel. With that setup, and its
opposite on both machines, I was able to NFS mount filesystems across
a secure mail guard. (Hint: if you're doing your own version of this,
jigger the RPC retransmit timer in the NFS mount options, or you'll
get packet storms that turn into email storms)

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CSO, Tenable Network Security, inc. http://www.tenable.com