Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: nipper studio experiences?

From: Shawn Summers <SSummers () jackhenry com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 19:23:20 +0000

Very good experience with the tool, features and usefulness have greatly increased in recent months.  They support
current versions of many common vendors' devices, well publicized list on their website
(https://www.titania.com/nipperstudio/networkdevices).  Very easy to use- you feed it raw config files and it parses
them line-by-line, then generates reports on findings.  Default best practices baseline is pretty good, and you can
customize policies to include or exclude particular checks globally, or for certain device types, etc.  Also supports
using CVSS for the measuring stick.  It can also compare current config/report to previously saved results.  Several
report types are available from text, html, pdf, xml, to a few different choices of .csv reports.  Some of the recent
feature additions I haven't yet had much chance to play with include software bulletin/vulnerability applicability
reports, SANS baseline/best practice policies, and PCI report generation.

I have only one complaint from years of use.  One of the .csv reports has some formatting problems, so it isn't
reliable to feed into any other tools or automated processing.  Since the finding data verbiage is constant throughout
reports, I've been able to manually workaround this with some masterful copy & paste skills.

It is a client application that runs on your everyday laptop/desktop, you point it to saved config files; it does not
"live" anywhere in your infrastructure as an appliance or bump on the wire.  It does not assume or try to induce any
context between or amongst the devices - it simply parses them line by line and evaluates the config for best
practices.  It does not have any mapping functionality; doesn't generate diagrams, cannot be fed any diagrams.

In summary, I have found it a very effective and valuable tool for a reasonable price, and it has been greatly improved
since going commercial.  I highly recommend it.

ss