Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Quiet

From: Timothy Shea <tim () tshea net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 18:37:43 -0700

Thoughts on IPv6?

Meh.  Is this the year of IPv6?  Or was that last year?  Or next year?  I'm
sure it will come up in some meeting and we will table it to next year.
 But I'm sure someone here will spend a lot of text here to inform that I
must absolutely convert now even though it provides no value to our
business nor are we seeing any demand (even in our asian markets).

Thoughts on "Cloud Firewalls?"

Meh.  For office perimeter protection - most vendors that offer "firewall
as a service" fail at the basics.  Like keeping their service up.  Or
advance notice of changes.  Or even returning phone calls.

As for our cloud hosting properties we are moving network ACL's to the
individual hosts (we are moving to this model at our physical properties as
well). I have noticed with some amusement vendors trying to dump all their
bloated code unto an image to deliver a 'cloud firewall' without any
optimization or enhancements to take advantage of cloud features (*cough*
checkpoint *cough*).

Thoughts on Web Application Firewalls?

Wouldn't implement a web app without one.  Its vital to rapidly react to
application issues, implement rate limiting, enforce white/black listing,
keep software engineering honest, and provide visibility into the web
stack.

I'm going to grab some popcorn and see where this discussion goes.  :)

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Paul D. Robertson <paul () compuwar net>