IDS mailing list archives

RE: Firewall Activity analysis

From: "Matthew F. Caldwell" <mattc () guarded net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:02:33 -0500

In general, to make our time more effective we all must do this type of analysis, since we all know that it is becoming
increasingly difficult to read logs on a daily basis. In other words it's hard to read gigs of log data each day and
not all of us have teams of people reading logs. I commend you for writing the Perl program and developing your query
tool in access.

It makes perfect sense; some vendors are doing this now in an attempt to maximize the effectiveness of their security
personnel (including my company). If I may, suggest something a little more robust than Access (file size restrictions
etc).  Not only firewall data, but why not multiple types of data. These could be entered into the system. It's all
about how the system parses and understands the data submitted. For example, how your script would possibly understand
the bytes in the payload (http) is a function of parsing that statistic.

I don't think man or machine can make an accurate decision based purely on the number of bytes in a packet thusly the
need for more information. For example, you know you have an animal in a box, the animal breaths and weighs 15 pounds,
fur is coming out of the box, but you still don't know if it's a black cat (hat) or your loving lab puppy. I also,
think this should be left to the IDS/IPS to perform these functions aka "peek into the packet".

I enjoyed your comment on "List all successful TCP connections for everyone who had more than 1 explicit denied
connection". Building more or less what's called event chaining or what some vendors are calling "event correlation".
Linking events seems to be a very good way of reducing false positives, however it's not an end all be all to
discovering new attacks/attackers. Anomaly detection via statistical analysis would be an effective method for
discovering these new attacks.

Matthew F. Caldwell, CISSP
Chief Security Officer
Guarded Net, Inc. "The home of neuSECURE"
www.guarded.net