IDS mailing list archives

RE: Best Host IDS Tools

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 21:09:18 -0500

Well, chkrootkit isn't an IDS, or anything like it, for one...you run it
to check for the presence of certain known rootkits.  It doesn't sit
around, and it doesn't detect intrusions in of themselves (or attempts
to intrude).

Snort isn't a host-based IDS either; it's network-based only.  While it
can be used on the web server and set up not to act promiscuously, I
would not consider it to be a host-based IDS any more than I would any
other network IDS that were set up in the same fashion.

AIDE sounds pretty good, but I have no experience with it.  Upon looking
at their website today, I noticed the following under the "Mirrors"
section of their page:

"Currently there are no mirrors. The version at ftp.linux.hr is hacked."

This is not something that gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling with
respect to trust in competence.  Tripwire, albeit less functional as a
free program, is well-known and well tested, and familiarity with it is
widespread in case you need further assistance.

Have you considered any other options, like open-source hybrid systems
that include a host-monitoring component, or other open-source HIDS (of
which there are many)?