IDS mailing list archives

RES: Honeytokens and detection

From: "Augusto Paes de Barros" <augusto () paesdebarros com br>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:20:59 -0000

I think that we cannot forget that honeytokens were already here for a long
time, and that they aren't the final solution for tracking malicious
activity. They are just one more tool. A tool that has serious limitations
when we deal with encryption and compression.

As for the fake administrator, you can use it as a real valid user, with a
random password with maximum size. Whenever you detect someone trying to use
it (you can do it detecting the traffic or watching logs), the alarm rings.

I see honeytokens, as well as honeypots, being used as part of a intrusion
detection and prevention strategy. It's wise to not overestimate its
possibilities.

Regards,

Augusto.