IDS mailing list archives

Re: False positives, negatives and don't cares

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:35:55 -0400

I'm thinking of calling them "noncontextuals", what does everyone think
about that word?

Weeding down the analytics set to the minimum can be a side effect of
network discovery processes, you just move the context information down into
the sensor itself.

The nCircle model is great for detecting things that you know about but
tails off when you get outside those things.  There's not anything wrong
with that, it just that some of the same ideas can be applied more broadly
to solve a greater number of problems in my opinion.

     -Marty