IDS mailing list archives

Optimize NFR.Part 1-MSSQL Hello Buffer Overflow

From: "benjurry" <benjurry () xfocus org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:11:27 +0800

Optimize NFR.Part 1-MSSQL Hello Buffer Overflow

Create: 2003-08-14
Author: benjurry (benjurry_at_xfocus.org)
http://www.xfocus.org/documents/200308/3.html

Part 1
--MSSQL Hello Buffer Overflow

benjurry benjurry () xfocus org
http://www.xfocus.org
http://www.xfocus.net
2003-8-10

Table of Contents

1.    Foreword    3
1.1.    About NFR    3
1.2.    Objective of this article    3
1.3.    Vulnerabilities of SQL Sever    4
2.    Alert Information    4
3.    Detected by NFR    5
3.1.    Signature of MSSQL Hello Buffer Overflow    5
3.2.    Data recorded by NFR    7
4.    Analysis of TDS protocol    9
5.    Description of Hello Buffer Overflow    16
6.    Analysis of Hello Buffer Overflow    18
7.    Summary    21

1.    Foreword
1.1.    About NFR
NFR(Network Flight Recorder) is a well-know IDS ,Which was founded by Marcus J. Ranum, who built the first commercial
network firewall product, the DEC SEAL .As a product to analyze and record the network's data, NFR supply the power
scripts N-CODE to extend the ability of detecting the intrusion. NFR works well in many evaluations and NFR Security is
rated best in class by objective third parties, such as industry analysts, security experts, and independent
laboratories .But lack of effective attack signatures is always his heel, although L0pht has written hundreds of
signatures for NFR.

1.2.    Objective of this article
It is some time when I am using NFR, in my humble, personal opinion; there were many problems about NFR's NIDS. Besides
 AI(Administration Interface) is abnormal occasional for compatibility  with  Chinese  Version Windows  and the
descriptions are  old although the NIDS is upgraded, the Important trouble is the key of IDS --attack signatures, which
are upgraded lingering , further more ,some of them are wrong .
In order to optimize NFR and detect the attack accurately, the series of articles will analyze these problems and
correct this error by analyzing the vulnerabilities and exploits.  At the same time, these articles will talk about how
to produce a good attack signature. Limited by my poor knowledge, there must be some errors, please tell me if you have
any advice .My email is: benjurry () xfocus org

1.3.    Vulnerabilities of SQL Sever
SQL Server is database product of Microsoft, which antagonizes Oracle. Now it used widely, but the vulnerabilities of
SQL server had been discovered more and more. On January 24, 2003, a worm named Slammer was targeting computers running
SQL Server 2000 and MSDE 2000 systems, caused a dramatic increase in network traffic worldwide. The vulnerabilities of
SQL server were regarded by security companies. NFR also published the signature of  SQL Server, which included a Hello
Buffer Overflow vulnerability discovered by Dave Aitel of Immunity on 7th, August ,2002.In the during of deploying NFR,
I find many  alerts about this attack and analyze it.
2.    Alert Information
Following is the alert information of MS SQL Hello Buffer Overflow by NFR NIDS:
Severity:           Attack
Time:               13:54:21 15-Jul-2003
Source File:        packages/mssql/sql2k.nfr
Line:               226
Host:               benjurry-xfocus
Alert ID:           mssql_sql2k:buffered_hello
Source ID:          mssql_sql2k:source_me
Source:             mssql_sql2k:source_me
Source Description: Sqlserver 2k overflow detector
Source PID:         36531
Alert Message:      Saw 8 Mssql HELLO overflows from 192.168
                    0.110 in 900 seconds
:                   3
Source IP:          192.168.0.110
Destination IP:             --
Thought the alert, we can see the severity of attack, time, and host of NFR sensor, source IP, destination IP and other
information. Because there are hundreds of alerts like this in a day, I think it is a false alarm.
3.    Detected by NFR
3.1.    Signature of MSSQL Hello Buffer Overflow
Let's open the MSSQL.fp file, which is the signature of MSSQL (We can view the N-CODE in AI ->package also), and we
will see as following:

<Snip>

#variables defined here.

<Snip>
sqlserv_schema = library_schema:new(1, ["time","ip","int","ip","int", "str"],
    scope());
sqlserv_rec = recorder("bin/list %c", "sqlserv_schema");

HELLO_SIG = "\x12\x01\x00\x34\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x15";
MIN_LEN = strlen(HELLO_SIG);

<snip>
filter hello tcp (client, dport: 1433) {
    declare $Blob inside tcp.connsym;
    if ($Blob == NULL) {
        $Blob = tcp.blob;
    } else {
        $Blob = cat($Blob, tcp.blob);
    }

    if (strlen($Blob) < MIN_LEN)
        return;

    if (prefix($Blob, HELLO_SIG)) {
        if (COUNTHELLO[tcp.connsrc]) {
            COUNTHELLO[tcp.connsrc] = COUNTHELLO[tcp.connsrc] + 1;
        } else {
            COUNTHELLO[tcp.connsrc] = 1;
        }
        if (do_alert(hello_overflow_alert, tcp.connsrc)) {
            alert(source_me, hello_overflow_alert, tcp.connsrc,
                tcp.connsport, tcp.conndst, tcp.conndport,
                "--AlertDetails",
                "ALERT_ID", "40-8",
                "ALERT_CONFIDENCE", 60,
                "ALERT_SEVERITY", "medium",
                "ALERT_IMPACT", "unknown",
                "ALERT_EVENT_TYPE", "attack",
                "ALERT_ASSESSMENT", "unknown",
                "IP_ADDR_SRC", tcp.connsrc,
                "PORT_SRC", tcp.connsport,
                "IP_ADDR_DST", tcp.conndst,
                "PORT_DST", tcp.conndport,
                "IP_PROTO_NUM", 6);
        }
        record packet.sec, tcp.conndst, tcp.conndport, tcp.connsrc,
            tcp.connsport, $Blob to sqlserv_rec;
        misc_attacks:rec(packet.sec, scope(),
                        "Mssql HELLO overflow!", tcp.connsrc, tcp.conndst);
    }
}
From the N-CODE, we can know the procedure of detecting the attack :
First, NFR define the characteristic of the attack,
HELLO_SIG = "\x12\x01\x00\x34\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x15";
And the length of the attack characteristic
MIN_LEN = strlen(HELLO_SIG);

Second, take the data from payload, compare the length of data to the length of the attack characteristic, if less the
return.
Or compare the data to characteristic, if data include the characteristic, NFR think it is attack, and then NFR will
stop the attack or produce alarm.
3.2.    Data recorded by NFR
Now let's view the data recorded by NFR , in the menu of AI, we choose package->Query->MSSQL->MSSQL Server 200,click
Table to get the data. Select a record and copy ,we can view it as following:
Time:               15-Jul-2003 13:54:21
NFR:                benjurry-xfocus
Destination Address:192.168.0.135
Destination Port:   1433
Source Address:     192.168.0.110
Source Port:        1391
Payload:

\x12\x01\x004\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x15\x00\x06\x01\x00\x1b\x00\x01\x02\x00\x1c\x00\x0c\x03\x00(\x00\x04\xff\x08\x00\x00\xc2\x00\x00\x00MSSQLServer\x00x\x03\x00\x00
This Recorder displays the Time, NFR sensor host, Destination IP and port, source IP and port. We concern about the
payload, because these data will be compared to the signature. There are 2 problems here:
1.    NFR translate the data which can be translated  to ASCII ;
2.    NFR cannot deal with Unicode.

In order to analyze, we translate the ASCII to hex except "MSSQLServer":
\x12\x01\x00\x34\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x15\x00\x06\x01\x00\x1b\x00\x01\x02\x00\x1c\x00\x0c\x03\x00\x28\x00\x04\xff\x08\x00\x00\xc2\x00\x00\x00MSSQLServer\x00\x78\x03\x00\x00

When NFR get the packet and find it is a TDS package, it will compare the payload to MSSQL signature. It is obviously
that the payload includes the signature, and then an alarm comes into being. Is it a real attack? Let us continue to
analyze it.
4.    Analysis of TDS protocol
According to the Project of Protocol Analysis in Xfocus, which will be open soon, we know MS SQL 2000 uses TDS 8.0 in
its package. The packet format is list as following:
| TDS package header(8bytes) |    TDS payload         |
TDS package header:
| TOKEN | STATUS | LENGTH | SIGNED NUM | PACKET NUM | WINDOW SIZE |
The field TOKEN is one byte, which shows packet type. In this article, it is 0x12, which shows the request of
ConnectionPreLogin to get some values, such as the version of SQL Server. When SQL Server receives these kinds of
package, it will pass the package to function in SSlibnet.dll. In my SQL Server with no SP, the function is list as
following:

.text:42CF6DDD ; Attributes: bp-based frame
.text:42CF6DDD
.text:42CF6DDD                 public ConnectionPreLogin
.text:42CF6DDD ConnectionPreLogin proc near
.text:42CF6DDD
.text:42CF6DDD var_4           = dword ptr -4
.text:42CF6DDD arg_0           = dword ptr  8
.text:42CF6DDD arg_4           = dword ptr  0Ch
.text:42CF6DDD arg_8           = dword ptr  10h
.text:42CF6DDD arg_C           = dword ptr  14h
.text:42CF6DDD arg_10          = dword ptr  18h
.text:42CF6DDD
.text:42CF6DDD                 push    ebp
.text:42CF6DDE                 mov     ebp, esp
.text:42CF6DE0                 push    ecx
.text:42CF6DE1                 mov     eax, [ebp+arg_0]
.text:42CF6DE4                 mov     ecx, [eax+94h]
.text:42CF6DEA                 mov     [ebp+var_4], ecx
.text:42CF6DED                 cmp     [ebp+var_4], 1
.text:42CF6DF1                 jz      short loc_42CF6E01
.text:42CF6DF3                 cmp     [ebp+var_4], 1
.text:42CF6DF7                 jle     short loc_42CF6E3D
.text:42CF6DF9                 cmp     [ebp+var_4], 3

The STATUS field has one byte, 0x01 means it is last packet in the TDS session.
The LENGTH field has two bytes, which is the length of TDS package include the length of TDS header.
The SIGNED NUM field has two bytes, which is reserved now.
The PACKET NUM filed has one byte, which shows the sequence number in the current TDS operation.
The WINDOW SIZE filed has one byte,which is reserved now.
When the TOKEN filed is 0x12, the format is:
| TDS package Header (8bytes) |Field Indicator Header| Information |
Field indicator Header is a table whose length is not fixed, each item indicate the information of offset or length.
General there are four filed in MS SQL 2000, the structure of Field Indicator Header is list as following:
{
    BYTE CNETLIBVERNO;
    WORD CNETLIBVEROFFSET;
    WORD CNETLIBVERLEN;
    BYTE CENYFLAGNO;
    WORD CENYFLAGOFFSET;
    WORD CENYFLAGLEN;
    BYTE SINSTNAMENO;
    WORD SINSTNAMEOFFSET;
    WORD SINSTNAMELEN;
    BYTE CTHREADIDNO;
    WORD CTHREADIDOFFSET;
    WORD CTHREADIDLEN;
    BYTE FILEDEND;
}
The structure of information is list as following:
{
    BYTE CNETLIBVER[CNETLIBVERLEN]
    BYTE CENYFLAG[CENYFLAGLEN];
    BYTE SINSTNAME[SINSTNAMELEN]
    DWORD CTHREADID[CTHREADIDLEN];
}
Field:
CNETLIBVERNO
Offset:0
Length: 1
Meanings: The number about Version of NETLIB in client
Remark:The value is 0x00 fixed

CNETLIBVEROFFSET
Offset:1
Length:2
Meanings:The Offset of NETLIB Version in client
Remark:

CNETLIBVERLEN
Offset:3
Length:2
Meanings:The length of information about the version of NETLIB in client
Remark:The value is 0x06 fixed

CENYFLAGNO
Offset:5
Length:1
Meanings:The number about flag of client encryption.
Remark:The value is 0x01 fixed

CENYFLAGOFFSET
Offset:6
Length:2
Meanings:The offset of flag of client encryption.
Remark:

CENYFLAGLEN
Offset:8
Length:2
Meanings:The length of flag of client encryption.
Remark:The value is 0x01 fixed

SINSTNAMENO
Offset:0XA
Length:1
Meanings:The number of server's instance name.
Remark: The value is 2 fixed.

SINSTNAMEOFFSET
Offset:0XB
Length:2
Meanings:The offset of of server's instance name.
Remark:

SINSTNAMELEN
Offset:0XD
Length:2
Meanings: The length of server's instance name.
Remark:

CTHREADIDNO
Offset:0XF
Length:1
Meanings:The number of the client's process.
Remark: The value is 3 Fixed

CTHREADIDOFFSET
Offset:0X10
Length: 2
Meanings: The offset of the client's process.
Remark:

CTHREADIDLEN
Offset:0X12
Length:2
Meanings: The length of the client's process.
Remark: The value is 4 fixed.

FILEDEND
Offset:0X14
Length:1
Meanings: This show that the Field Indicator Header is over,and the next is the information
Remark:

CNETLIBVER
Offset:0X15
Length:6
Meanings: The version of NETLIB
Remark: The format is Network Byte Order,For example,if the version is 80.528.00,then the fild is
    08 00 02 10 00 00

CENYFLAG
Offset:0X1B
Length:1
Meanings: The flag of Client encryption.
Remark:

SINSTNAME
Offset:0X1C
Length:SINSTNAMELEN
Meanings: The instance name asked by client.
Remark:default is MSSQLserver

CTHREADID
Offset:0X1C+SINSTNAMELEN
Length:4
Meanings:The ID of client's process
Remark:

From the format list as foregoing, if the default instance is MSSQLserver, the tds package is like:
\x12\x01\x00\x34\x00\x00\x00\x00
\x00\x00\x15\x00\x06\x01\x00\x1b
\x00\x01\x02\x00\x1c\x00\x0c\x03
\x00\x28\x00\x04\xff\x08\x00\x00
\xc2\x00\x00\x00MSSQ
LServer\x00
\x78\x03\x00\x00

But the signature is :
HELLO_SIG = "\x12\x01\x00\x34\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x15";
It is obviously that the signature is a part of normal package of TDS 0x12,that is why there are so many alarms. And
how did NFR publish the signature? Let do it from the description of the vulnerability.

5.    Description of Hello Buffer Overflow
Following is Description of the vulnerability from  NFR N-CODE
FALSE POSITIVES

False positives are unlikely due to the nature of the attack