IDS mailing list archives

Re: Network IDS

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:20:09 -0400

Robert.Lupo () nokia com wrote:

I have seen time and time again people buying a product, getting vendor training and then viewing the logs and thinking "wo
ho! I have IDS!" but do you know how to write your own rules, signatures, analyze the traffic for what your company needs?
Before you go and buy any product, you should get yourself properly trained, then view the products and figure out what
is going to best suit your needs.

I don't think a product like this should be purchased without hands-on
eval time. Sales demos are staged and most literature (technical and
otherwise) won't give you the information you need about a product
to make a wise decision.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/runsafe

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training), October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world’s premier technical IT security event. Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors. Symanetc is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September 6 Visit: www.blackhat.com