IDS mailing list archives

Re: Question on resources needed to manage IDSes

From: "Andy Cuff [Talisker]" <lists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 22:45:23 -0000

Hi Ken,
I'd suggest that there is no metric to define resources required to manage
an IDS.  It depends on many factors not least of which are

Type of IDS
Signature policy, do you watch for everything or just intrusions
Is there an event correlation and/or severity reduction tool
Size of network monitored
How well behaved is the user community or is it a University :o(
    Do you have a big stick to beat them when they're naughty (it makes a
difference)
How secure are the underlying hosts that you're watching
Is the IDS internal or external
Type of IDS (have I said that)
Are you filtering at the border router.
Are you watching 24/7
How many resources can you throw at false positive reduction

Also look at sys admins to support/deploy/update the sensors and a DBA to
look after the databases - especially important for certain IDS

Who writes the signatures and what about research and development

Who responds to the alerts, with so many sensors it would be sensible to
have an elevation mechanism where the front line triage can pass the more
serious / harder to resolve alerts

Bottom Line "suck it and see" start small and build up, build up gradually
making sure you don't bite off more than you can chew, catching up is far
more difficult than keeping up.

I hope this helps, sorry if you feel my comments are in anyway negative but
I'm older than my years because I didn't consider the above

take care
-andy
Talisker Security Tools Directory
http://www.securitywizardry.com