IDS mailing list archives

RE: Host based IDS Reports

From: "Teicher, Mark (Mark)" <teicher () avaya com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:56:11 -0700

If an enterprise spends from $15,000 to upwards of a $400,000 for a host
based enterprise IDS solution.  Providing useful reporting tools or
useful reports is a given.

As I have discovered as you stated, as long the data is retrievable via
some method of either SQL query or some other method, building one's own
reports is nice thing to do.  But the issue there, if the person or team
who crafted the reports goes away (i.e gets a better job, retires,
suffers a massive heart attack after reading the money they spend on the
vendor's software and it doesn't do what management wants).  Many vendor
shy away from report tools and report formatting.  Just letting an admin
modify the graphic on the report seems to a major issue.  Some other
vendor products make it so easy to create a custom report that one does
not need to have any SQL skills at all.

Ensuring that data is useful is another issue.  Some vendors don't
capture enough information to provide an executive level report except a
nice pretty pie graph with some percentages.  What does it all mean to
the administrator.

Time is another issue in the data, what timestamp do the logs use, the
server or the end point's ??

Does it normalize the timestamp based on GMT location ??

/mark