IDS mailing list archives

Re: WLAN IDS

From: "planz" <planz235 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:14:17 +0800

Hi Rob,

Technically speaking, 'decrypting at wire-speed' may be possible. But my concern was different. It was always possible
to include WLAN IDS module to an existing NIDS and perform L2 decryption as an additional Load.

But many questions are in the air unanswered.  Such that, how the MAC spoofing going to be stopped, how the sniffing
going to be prevented by encryption at L2. how the de-authentication frames going to be verified as they are from only
the reialble MAC. The second series of question arises for how you would locate or identify the culprit?  You need a
GPS or building-wide location-marking system(using bluetooth??).

I have some ideas on these monitoring as well as IDS inventions for WLAN.

1)  RFMON Sticks.

Stack and connected to wire with a IP address.  These IP Stack may be replaced, if the card is able to transmit to the
control center in a differenct channel with a different encryption, but to avoid de-authentication frames from unknown
sources or chances of being sniffed in the air, the control-transmission is send in 'wire'.

Functionality:  These 'sticks' are located in different locations in the building and keep monitoring and doing a
intrusion detection and sends the traffic to the control center.  These sticks can locate intrusion based on locations
and also can monitor the clients' location. This stick can also locate the any FakeAP/HostAP/RogueAP.

I see 802.11b has lot of 'technological weaknesses'. Many of the control frames are traversing in Layer 2 without
security, the insecurity is always on. Therefore, WLAN IDS is ineffective at this moment with 802.11b.

Meanwhile, I have other ideas on this space for manufacturers.

2) WLAN PCMCIA Cards with GPS transceiver built-in

WLAN Client cards may be built with GPS transciever, so that they don't need additional GPS equipment to trace.

Regards,
Planz