IDS mailing list archives

Web server response to attacks

From: Terry Ziemniak <terry.ziemniak () swc com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:48:53 -0600

All,

I was reviewing some IIS logs with a co-worker.  There were typical Nimda
attack signatures (cmd.exe) in the log.  He asked an interesting question:
can you tell the whether the attack was successful based on the HTTP return
code?  I had always assumed that a 403/404 to this type of a requests meant
it was blocked.  But as I have never actually seen the logs from a
successful exploit, I am wondering if that is true.

Along those same lines, does this apply to the general class of exploits
(meaning OS/web server executable and dll exploits)?  For Code Red I and II,
as well as tomorrow's new web server exploit d'jour, can I assume a 400
level response from my web server means that the attack was not
successfully?

This second question may be a bit too generalized, but I would appreciate
any thoughts on either question.

Terry Ziemniak

Does your IDS have Intelligent Attack Profiling?
If not, see what you're missing.
Download a free 15-day trial of StillSecure Border Guard.
http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure