IDS mailing list archives

RE: Active response... some thoughts.

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:17:14 -0500

I am having a hard time imagining a decent hacker who is allowing inbound
and unsolicited ICMP.  Furthermore, if a hacker can be assumed to be capable
of potentially ignoring RSTs (using a hacked stack), I cannot imagine how
ignoring the ICMP would be anything but trivial.  Also, this goes back to
them being able to determine the presence of active response IDS, as they
probably already know that the host/port exists...and even if not, what
happens when they get the "port unreachable" AND the valid response from the
port?