IDS mailing list archives

Re: Random IDS Thoughts [WAS: Re: IDS thoughts]

From: "Stefano Zanero" <stefano.zanero () ieee org>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 23:15:48 +0200

I'm talking user interface, correlation, useful
tools, etc.

Also more powerful systems to extract useful informations from the data. The
more sensors we aggregate and correlate, the higher view we want over the
data. We would like a lot to hear about "intrusion sequences" and "ongoing
attacks", rather than about "sensor nr. 1 fired off rule
IMPOSSIBLE_ACRONYM_HERE".

Hint: data mining techniques, anyone ? There's a great book by J. Mena on
the topic, which I warmly recommend.

About the last point on Anomaly based IDS, host/port profiles are just the
tip of the iceberg of the academic research in the field. I could elaborate,
if anyone feels it's on topic and interesting.

Stefano

INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM capabilities
- including intrusion identification, relevancy, direction, impact and analysis
- enabling a path to prevention.

Download the latest white paper "Intrusion Prevention: Myths, Challenges, and Requirements" at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/IntruVert-focus-ids2