IDS mailing list archives

Re: False Positives

From: Tobias Klein <tobias.klein () ewetel de>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:34:03 +0200

here are a frew tools to test your ids ruleset

http://www.packetstormsecurity.nl/distributed/stick.tgz
http://securityfocus.com/data/tools/stick.tgz

http://www.whitehats.com/cgi/tools/BrowseTree?field=Category&separator=:&recurse=1&order=&value=Assessment%3aIDS%20Testing%20and%20Evasion
ftp://ftp.st.ryukoku.ac.jp/pub/security/tool/snot/
http://www.robertgraham.com/tmp/sidestep.html
http://adam.kaist.ac.kr/~bugsy/mendax.html
http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/outils/idswakeup/
http://packetstorm.widexs.nl/UNIX/IDS/nidsbench/nidsbench.html

think that will helps you

-- newroot

At 16:13 03.06.2003 +0000, Andi Hess wrote:

Hi there,

I am new in the field of NIDS and I wonder if the
problem of false positives is really this huge as
mentioned in several publications.

I am considering tools like PCP, Stick (I have never
seen them, but read about them) which can be used to
generate huge amount of packets and each on triggers an
alarm on the victim IDS (a false positive, as the
packets are not a real attack).
As it has been impossible for me to find any of the
above mentioned packet generators - I wonder how the
packets look like?
Is it possible to differentiate 'artifically' generated
false positives from natural ones?

Any hint is welcome!

Thank you.

A.

INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM capabilities
- including intrusion identification, relevancy, direction, impact and analysis
- enabling a path to prevention.

Download the latest white paper "Intrusion Prevention: Myths, Challenges, and Requirements" at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/IntruVert-focus-ids2