IDS mailing list archives

Re: Announcement: Alert Verification for Snort

From: Richard Bejtlich <richard_bejtlich () yahoo com>
Date: 25 Oct 2003 03:57:50 -0000

Craig,

I agree with your sentiments, but having done network- and host-based incident response I don't think host-based
forensics are always 100% necessary.  I'm so glad you brought your point forward, though.

Answering the "now what?" question is PARAMOUNT but frequently ignored.  Even if I have perfect detection of the
intrusion, now what happens?  What did the intruder do after initial exploitation?  Where did he log in using the valid
credentials brute-forced from the victim's /etc/shadow file?  What data did he steal and where did he copy it?
Granted, encryption foils knowing some of this, but traffic analysis of sessions containing encrypted data is better
than no analysis at all.

I follow the "network security monitoring" (NSM) approach because it focuses on the "now what" question.  We capture as
much varied data as possible, in event (classic "IDS"), session (NetFlow/Argus), full content (tcpdump), and
statistical (behavioral/graphs/etc.) form.

You never know how you might catch the intruder -- it could be your IDS, or a sys admin, or a user.  But once you have
a clue where to look, you use your data -- whatever is available and helpful -- to scope the extent and impact of
compromise.  This a "network traffic audit" (NTA) approach that's absent in most IDS products.

I'm writing now about how I've done this during the past five years, and I'm excited by the number of open source tools
available to move these practices out of the Air Force and into resource-constrained environments.

Sincerely,

Richard Bejtlich
http://taosecurity.com

PS:  An earlier comment about the IDS as a "system" reminded me of the Protection Profile for the "Intrusion Detection
System SYSTEM" -- http://niap.nist.gov/cc-scheme/PP_IDSSYPP_V1.4.html -- composed of IDS "Sensors, Analyzers, and
Scanners."  Good thinking NSA, although a vulnerability assessment scanner (measuring vulnerabilities) is not in the
same class as an IDS (measuring threats)!

From: "Craig H. Rowland" <crowland () cisco com>

There is a third method that hasn't been mentioned yet: Automating the
on-host investigation of the attack.

<snip>

In the end you're simply going to
have to look at the system directly to see if the problem exists.

<snip>

An IDS only gets you so far and what you're left with after the
detection is a *huge* amount of manual work even if you have only a
small number of alarms a day. Consider that after the attack has been
seen you have to:

1) Verify the attack
2) Investigate the attack
3) Cleanup and isolate the affected host
4) Etc.

You need to eliminate as much of the remaining manual process as
possible to be useful. For me this means automating as much of the
post-attack investigation and evidence collection as you can. Not only
is the level of expertise required to do this very high even for those
who do this stuff daily, but having the repeatability and 24/7 response
is critical to most admins.

-- Craig

Network with over 10,000 of the brightest minds in information security
at the largest, most highly-anticipated industry event of the year.
Don't miss RSA Conference 2004! Choose from over 200 class sessions and
see demos from more than 250 industry vendors. If your job touches
security, you need to be here. Learn more or register at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/RSA_focus-ids_031023
and use priority code SF4.