IDS mailing list archives

Re: Multiple network segment monitor with Snort

From: Sergio Pozo Hidalgo <blitter_es () yahoo es>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 21:32:06 +0200

I know that. But Cisco routers are very expensive. I was looking for cheaper solutions. My first desing used a Layer3 switch, but then I changed my mind (because of an impossibility for my netscreen border router to define more than two zones), and used a cheaper design (but I think that also less secure and manageable) with no Layer3 switch, but two Layer2 ones. Do you know any cheap Layer2 or Layer3 switch with mirror ports?

Thank you.

James Williams wrote:

If the box is connected to a cisco switch you can setup a port to
monitor as many, or as few vlans as you want and send that traffic to
the port that your snort box is connected to.

Captus Networks IPS 4000
Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping Technology to: - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
- Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
- Precisely Define and Implement Network Security & Performance Policies
FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_focus-ids_000101