IDS mailing list archives

RE: newbie quetsions

From: "Harper, Patrick" <Patrick.Harper () phns com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:11:13 -0600

Snort is a good option (in my opinion) for any size business.  The
larger the deployment the better you need to be at using it.  The box
your running now for your gateway might be a little light for the
job, you might want to look at a faster system but you do not need a
fast server or anything for a deployment your size.

Remember IDS's require tuning, out of the box they are all pretty
much useless because they will just overload you with info that does
not matter and you will either stop watching or uninstall it because
you think it is useless.  Tune the rule set for your deployment.  If
your running an IIS server internally then you do not need the apache
rules.  If you are an oracle shop then you do not need most of the MS
SQL rules.  Learn how to threshold and suppress as needed.

There are several good books out on snort.  The Syngress book is
written by people that know Snort inside and out like Brian Caswell.
http://www.bookpool.com/.x/pizrqesaor/sm/1931836744

Hope that helps, I am a little biased to the snort side of the world
but that is only because it has done me well for so long.