IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS requirement

From: "Brito, Nelson (ISS Brazil)" <NBrito () iss net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:03:05 -0500

I disagree, because the IPS concept is misunderstood for almost
everybody.

IPS, as you said, is Intrusion Prevention (some people says Protection)
System.

IMHO, IPS is something between the source of attack and the target,
blocking or stopping the attack in real time, without interaction (or
any kind of re-configuration) with other device / application.

The IPS, by default, uses its own engine to do that, which means that
IPS does not need to re-configure nor Firewalls neither Routers to block
or stop a threat, even because IPS is not just a technology to use
protecting network segments. It is a concept, as I said bellow, between
the source of attack and the target. It can be a HIPS, stopping the
attack before it reaches the target (OS).

So, briefly, IPS can be:
1 - A network engine to stop attacks before they reach the target
systems, a device in other words;
2 - An engine installed on a machine which stops the attacks before they
reach the machine, an engine working in Kernel space or even in a lowest
level.

Sorry my broken English, it is not my main Language, by the way.

Cheers.

- nb