IDS mailing list archives

RE: Is IDS/IPS worthless?

From: "Bob Walder" <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:29:55 +0100

Andrew,

EXACTLY the same things happens with network management - there are
plenty of stories doing the rounds about the OpenView console that sits
on a shelf in a darkened room somewhere with little red icons flashing,
but everyone ignores it because no one knows how this big complex
network management system works since old Fred retired....

Anti-virus products received lots of negative press in the early days -
stories of vendors inventing and releasing viruses to boost sales,
over-hyping the problem, etc, etc.... "has anyone actually SEEN any of
these virus thingys in the wild?" we would ask.... Now look at us. Does
anyone actually NOT have an AV scanner somewhere in their data path?

Same thing happened with firewalls.... Who would actually NEED that
level of security? Who wants to look at MY data? Stories of firewalls
implemented with PERMIT ANY ANY rules because the "security
administrator" couldn't figure out which rule was breaking the CEO's
stock ticker feed...

In other words, at any given point in time there will be "hot buttons" -
they just seem to come around with alarming frequency in this particular
industry. Gartner and its ilk will always start off hyping those hot
buttons.... Then move on to trashing them.... Then later revise its
opinion to say "told you they would be good for us". The "naysayers"
will always trash those products because they are afraid of change and
don't like to open their minds to anything that they don't already have
installed on their own "perfect" network. "NO, no, no, no... You don't
need one of those.... Just look how I have MY GH5670 configured to do
exactly the same job..... Well, almost..."

Five years down the line we will wonder what all the fuss was about!
Everyone will have IDS/IPS in some form - that may be as part of a deep
inspection firewall or a multi-mode security gateway device, but you
will all be using it ;o)

And if you're not, then I will eat Gartner's hat.

Regards,

Bob Walder
Director
The NSS Group