IDS mailing list archives

Re: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: George Capehart <gwc () acm org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:13:21 -0500

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 01:39 pm, Vigilant Labs wrote:

<snip>

Another difficult decision is how does the product ship? Does it ship
with all checks (i.e. signatures, prevention mechanisms, etc...)
turned on? If that was the case the product would break 99% of the
networks that it was installed into. Should the product be shipped
with some of the checks turned on? How is the vendor to know which
checks are even contextually relevant to the customers environment?
Does Nimda matter when protecting a production Unix/Apache
environment? Ok, ok so we'll ship the product with all the check's
off? Now the product does nothing when you put it inline and the user
is required to "turn things on" to secure their environment. This
third option is the safest choice from the vendor's perspective but
assumes three important details to consider the implementation of the
product successful.

1. The user knows their environment extremely well.
2. The user knows what assets they are trying to protect with the
product.
3. The user knows the product well enough to configure it properly to
protect those assets.

Hello Joseph,

Well, this is a great way to keep the conversation going . . . ;-)

I would like to suggest that any organization that is not 100% on 1 and
2 are failing in their risk management process (and for my protection
and theirs shouldn't be connected to the world at large . . .).  If
they're not 100% on 3, and they don't get help from someone who is,
they deserve what they get.

As with any security tool, (Firewall, IDS, Policy thingamig-er) what
matters is how the product is used and configured. Often times people
don't understand how the product is intended to use, they just think
"Whelp, I paid a lot for this it better secure me when I put it in."
As we all know, network security is a difficult problem that is
unique to every environment. Networks are uniquely designed, assets
carry different risks, and what is important to one organization may
not be as important to another. Proper planning is the key to having
a successful IPS implementation. While this step may seem obvious, it
almost always overlooked.

Most people don't understand what how they intend to protect
themselves with the product. The most common (Doh!) I've repeatedly
seen is an IPS deployed on the internet gateway, while no protection
exists after the VPN endpoints. (with 100+ users connected to the
core of the network sitting behind cable modems of course) ; )

As it is at the moment, there is no penalty for connecting to the
Internet even if the organization or individual is clueless.  Right
now, the burden (such as it is or is not) is on corporate governance
and individual conscience to understand ones system(s) and protect
them.  In most cases in which an individual or corporation operates a
system that interfaces with the public (automobiles and long-haul
trucking come immediately to mind), the operator must demonstrate
understanding of basic "rules of the road" and safety before they are
licensed to use the system "in public."  And there are criminal and
civil penalties for failing to do so.  I suspect that until the use of
digital systems comes under the same kind of regulation, we will
continue to see individuals and organizations behaving with total
disregard for their own risk and the risk they pose to others . . .

To attempt to answer the subject line of this question...

Definition:
Network Based Intrusion Prevention - And inline network device that
allows blocking, mitigation (slowing down), of malicious traffic in
one of the following manners:
Layer 2 - Mac Address Filtering
Layer 3 - Source IP Filtering - "You triggered this check 5 times,
I'm going to automatically block your source IP for 10 minutes."
Layer 4 - Port Based Filtering - Basically mimic's firewall
functionality, could be triggered as in Layer 3 example.
Layer 7 - Application Based Filtering - This can be extremely
advanced and is probably the most difficult prevention feature to
design from a product standpoint, both resource wise and from a
fundamental design standpoint. Examples include: Whitelisting and
Blacklisting of URI's, RPC Bounds checking, FTP command restrictions,
etc...

I guess there are two points to what I'm trying to say.

1. Building a product that will solve everyone's problem by just
plugging it in is impossible.

Couldn't agree more . . .

In my new role, I've been trained in or
have evaluated all of the most popular IPS products on the market
today, all of them have their strengths and weaknesses, but NONE of
them work well "out of the box".

That shouldn't be a great surprise.  Every System and network is
different . . .

2. Plan before buying, plan more before implementing, test,
implement, and tune. This IS the recipe for success.

Yes!  Understand the vulnerabilities the system has.  Understand the
current and probable future threats that the system may face.
Implement whatever combination of controls that the risk management
process determines is appropriate.  Rinse and repeat.  :-)

Hope some of these comments were useful.

And thought provoking.

Have a secure New Year!

Cheers,

George Capehart